Monday 29 June 2015

LESSONS LEARNED FROM RAMADHAN- THE HOLY MONTH

LESSONS LEARNED FROM RAMADHAN

1). TO BE A GOOD TIME MANAGER....

Ramadhan has taught me to be an excellent time manager. The 5 obligatory prayers plus many more prayers have to be prayed in this holy month, some in the middle of the night or very early before 4a.m yet we are still expected to do our service at our places of work with utmost diligence because diligence at work is also a form of worship. We also expected to read the Quran as much as possible and do dhikr(devotion).The trick to this is being a good time-keepers and planner.3 Sleeping time has to be pre-planned and pre-calculated to fit the schedule, no more wasting time lazing around, T.V time is strictly for news only and Islamic channels because the time is very minimal, traveling has to be pre-planned to fit prayer schedules at different mosques on the way e.t.c. 24 hours are so less.

2). IBADA(WORSHIP) INCLUDES GIVING MY BEST

I can't afford to be harsh to anyone or treat a patient half-heartedly because giving our best is considered a form of worship which is very crucial in life and mostly in this holy month. Hurting someone could make ones fast null and void. Giving substandard services yet you are drawing a salary could be considered sinful.

3). INTER-PERSONAL SKILLS ENHANCED

My communication skills and relationship with my colleagues has greatly enhanced. I have to be careful how I talk to people to avoid hurting anyone, there is no space for talking ill or complaining about anyone, I have learned that direct, firm yet friendly confrontation is the best approach.

4). ALL MY SENSES ARE IN FASTING MODE

EYES- I can't watch things that are detrimental to my spirituality and personality. Islam teaches us to lower our gaze even on the roads.

EARS- listening to gossip, unnecessary talks, bad music etc is a NO NO NO ( not that I listened to these before anyway!)

MOUTH- what comes out of my mouth should not hurt anyone but should instead be a  blessing to them and if possible be in the path of worshipping Allah in one form or another.

5). THE ART OF GIVING.
The whole idea behind fasting is to be able to give back to the society. Nobody slept hungry or suffered because of giving to the less fortunate. Giving should be as secret as possible because giving is not meant to be for show-off but for the sake of Allah. The Quran says that what the right hand gives, the left hand should not know about it.

6). MODESTY
Ramadhan has a way of drawing people back to being modest. Modesty in form of ones behaviour, dress-code, talk etc. People might judge but that's one of the purposes of Ramadhan, to draw people back to their creator.

7). IT'S OKAY TO 'UGLY UP'
I am rocking dark eye bags and I'm proud of it. If we can trans-night studying to pass exams or do crazy night calls in the hospital , then surely we can sacrifice for Allah; waking up very early e.t.c. I'm in constant contact with water more than the 5 obligatory times, but that's okay. Natural face with no foundation on is the way to go, so I realize.

8). HEALTHY EATING

Ramadhan has a way of 'shrinking' ones stomach. No matter how gluttonous you are, you can't eat much. A bite or two and fruits is almost always enough. We are also prohibited from eating much Iftar so as to remain light during the long taraweh prayers.

9). HUMILITY
Ramadhan has a way of humbling us. We all become equal. A rich man and a poor man go through the same pangs of hunger, the same prayer sessions, etc. Ramadhan is an equalizer in it's own right.

10). TOLERANCE
If you can tolerate pangs of hunger with a happy face, then trust me you can tolerate anything. I have realized that  when treated badly I let it pass unlike in the past where I would whine, hurt, complain etc. There's just a tolerance and peace that comes with Ramadhan that I can't explain.

Sometimes I wish that each of the 365 days of the year was Ramadhan. The joy and peace that comes with Ramadhan is amazing. Everything is always in synchrony worshipping Allah. It's the time of the year when we all get to drop any vices and  go back to God fully. I pray that Allah gives us grace to make each and every day of our lives Ramadhan; Amen!! Ramadhan Karim

No comments:

Post a Comment